Packing and Moving FAQs

Q) Are your movers fully trained?
A) Yes! At College Bound Movers, we pride ourselves on our policies on employment. It is very common in this industry for companies to hire day-laborers, go through temp agencies or take in untrained general laborers who get paid under the table. Moving the contents of one's home is NOT "general labor." One of the reasons that College Bound Movers is so successful is that we keep a full staff of thoroughly trained employees on payroll and without the assistance of temp agencies. Proper training makes a world of difference. You can read about training and the classes the movers are required to take here.

Q) Should I expect a lot of items to get damaged when I move?
A) No moving company can guarantee that nothing will get damaged because you are being moved by people, and accidents can happen. However, College Bound Movers' damage rate is practically unheard of in the moving industry. The US industry average for damages occurring on jobs annually is approximately 18%. College Bound Movers' average is approximately 2%. Because of the extensive training in place, we have never hit the 3% damage percentage in the more than 25 years we have been in business. However, if something does get damaged, we offer valuation coverage to protect your goods and allow for easy claim filing. Please speak with a Move Coordinator for more information.

Q) Do you contract your work to other vendors?                                                                                                                               

A) No! For 25 years CBM has worked diligently to assure any and all work is ours. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority and for that reason we have never contracted labor to other vendors. 

Q) When and how do I pay for my move?
A) When you book the move with us, we will take a space reservation which will act as a deposit. Deposit amounts adjust depending on the size of the move. Any moves estimated under $500.00 will have a $50.00 deposit, between $500.00 -$1,000.00 will have a $100 deposit, and over $1,000.00 will have a $100.00 deposit. All long-distance moves require a 25% deposit of your total move cost. When the movers arrive at your home, you will need to have 80% of the estimated amount of your move ready to give to the crew chief. You can pay your deposit with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, certified check or cash. Once the job has been completed, the actual cost of services will be presented to you and the remaining cost will be due. The balance can be paid with a personal check, cash or your credit card.

Q) Do I have to empty my dresser drawers?
A) You may keep all clothing in your dressers, as well as any light cloth items. Anything heavy or fragile will need to be removed.

Q) Do I have to empty my file cabinet drawers?
A) The bottom two drawers of your file cabinets may remain full of files. Anything above two drawers will need to be emptied. File boxes are available for purchase.

Q) Can you disassemble any of my furniture?
A) Yes. Please make sure to tell your move coordinator what items you would like assistance with so the time needed can be factored into your estimate. CBM, Inc. will only reassemble items that they disassembled, so please do not attempt to take something apart yourself if you feel you may need help putting it back together.

Q) Do you offer shrink wrapping?
A) Yes, we do offer shrink wrapping services to protect your items during your move.

Q) Does everything need to be in a box?
A) All small items, including electronics, need to be in boxes with lids that are taped shut. Pictures and table lamps will also need to be in boxes, which are available for purchase from CBM, Inc.

Q) Do you have your own fleet of trucks?
A) Yes! We do have our own fleet of lettered trucks, but are also an authorized Budget Truck dealer. During busier periods of business, we will use Budget trucks in addition to the CBM fleet to allow us to accommodate more customers.

Helpful Hints
College Bound Movers will not assist you in moving Flammable, Hazardous or Perishable Items. Please pack them so you are ready to carry them with you on moving day. If you're not sure if an item qualifies, please ask your Move Coordinator.

Flammables and Hazardous Items
Include but are not limited to the following:

  • Aerosol
  • Batteries
  • Charcoal
  • Cleaning Products
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Gasoline
  • Lamp/Motor Oils
  • Nail Polish/Remover
  • Pesticide Products
  • Propane Tanks
  • Ammunition
  • Bleach
  • Chemistry Sets
  • Fireworks
  • Fertilizers
  • Kerosene
  • Matches
  • Paint/Paint Thinner
  • Poisons

Perishable Items
Include but are not limited to the following:

  • All Frozen Foods
  • Any Opened Food Items
  • Plants
  • Any Items Requiring Refrigeration
  • Any Liquids in Glass Containers
  • Meats
  • Produce

You may wish to keep some/all of the following items with you in lieu of transporting them through a carrier due to the sentimental value and personal importance:

  • Travel Itinerary/Tickets
  • Jewelry
  • Deeds
  • Checkbook/Unused Checks
  • Financial Records
  • Back-up Disks
  • Credit Cards
  • Stamp/Coin Collections
  • Passports
  • Stocks/Bonds/IRAs/CDs
  • Computers

Helpful Hints Moving With:

CHILDREN: Always inform your children of the impending move and include details of the relocation and your new home/community. Be positive about the move with your children and your positive parental attitude will soothe their fears. Telling them immediately will also give them time to adjust and anticipate the move. Answer all questions and explain the reasons for the move at the age level of the children. A good question/answer session will also help you isolate any specific concerns your children may be having. Permit your children to participate as much as possible in the move. Make a school transfer of records as soon as possible and notify your children's current school(s) as to when they will be leaving. Records to be sent to the new school should include the following:

  • Elementary: Transfer card/latest report card, birth certificate, medical records, grading method, and a summary from a current teacher advising of your children's potential achievement levels and individual needs.
  • Secondary: Transfer card/academic transcript, course load, grading methods, and extracurricular program participation. Also make sure to find out if there are any dress codes and if your children's special interest courses can be facilitated.

PLANTS: If you are planning to move your houseplants from one state to another, please be aware of the federal and state regulations that may apply. Contact your destination state's Department of Agriculture to assess any inspection services or certifications necessary.

PETS: Almost every state has laws/regulations in place governing the entry of animals/household pets. It is best to contact a veterinarian in the city/state in which you intend to relocate in advance to discover any specific laws pertaining to your pet. It is a good rule of thumb to have a valid health certificate accompanying your pet during travel. Look into possible sedation options available for your pet. Entry permits, rabies tags, and identification tags could also be required. Pet transportation is limited to personal transport by you/your designated party or by air in an appropriate container. If traveling by plane, make sure you contact the airline in advance to see if there are any specifications or limitations that may be in place.

Profile Tab.
Messages Tab.
Settings Tab.